The Great Western Railway arrived in Perranporth in 1903 with a branch line service via Chacewater to Truro. In 1906 the line was extended to form a continuous link to Newquay. Perranporth was the main station in the parish but smaller "halts" existed at Mithian, Perranporth Beach and Goonhavern. The tourism industry gained momentum with this important transport link.
This photograph shows Goonhavern railway cutting circa 1960, just a few years before the Beeching Railway Cuts. The museum recalls the effect of Dr Beeching's railway axe with photographs of the last train leaving from Perranporth station.