From 1892 Nobels manufactured nitroglycerine at
Cligga just south of Perranporth. This was used as an explosive in the
tin mining industry. The factory was mothballed in 1906 due to the
falling price of tin and the closure of many mines.
The site re-opened for the duration of the First World War, employing a largely female workforce, for the production of munitions. Our museum display includes a hand grenade and a wooden stool from the Munitions Factory together with photographs of the workforce.
During the Second World War, Cornwall was one of the main training grounds for the D-Day landings of 1944. This uniform belonged to Jacqueline Fewins, the 3 year-old mascot of the United States soldiers billeted in Perranporth.