Nobel’s Explosive Works/Munitions Factory
From 1892 Nobels manufactured nitroglycerine at Cligga just south of Perranporth.
This was used as an explosive in the mining industry. The factory was mothballed in 1906 due to the falling price of tin and the closure of many mines.
The site re-opened for the duration of the First World War, employing a largely female workforce, for the production of munitions. Our museum display includes this wooden stool and a hand grenade from the Munitions Factory together with photographs of the workforce.